As you likely know, the past three gardening seasons, I've been a part of a
community teaching garden here in the Burlington area. It’s been a wonderful,
wonderful experience. I can’t say enough great things about it and the
organization. It’s gotten me outside, dirty, taught me a lot about faith, I’ve
made wonderful friends, and learned much about preserving vegetables.
At the end of last season, the executive director (Jim) \stepped down, to
explore other opportunities. At the time, he didn’t know what that would be or
look like, but knew his time was done there. He was not only the executive
director, but also the founder, he and his wife (Barb) have become dear friends,
and actually nearly neighbors.
After three years in the teaching garden, I’d decided to move on to a real
community garden (Starr Farm). There is one nearly at the end of my street,
okay it’s more like go to the end, hang a right on the bikepath for a bit, and
then it’s there! So pumped about the proximity and accessibility via bike!
The great thing about Starr Farm is that it’s also where our beloved Jim
& Barb have gardened for the past 25 years. Beth and I and a few other
friends from the community teaching garden were nearly ready to sign up for a
plot of our own, when I got an intriguing email from Jim. Turns out Jim
accepted a new position as an executive director of an organization in the Northeast
Kingdom, and he was interested in giving us his plot, as they would be
relocating. Seriously? This is such an honour! I mean, what a responsibility! I
am in complete denial that they are moving, but all the same am excited for
their opportunity. It’s kind of a cool way to bring our garden relationship to
a close. Gosh, now I own a house, and am responsible for the wellbeing of Jim
& Barb’s plot. There’s no way I can leave Burlington! Speaking of my house,
it’s 1100 square feet. Guess how big my garden plot is?! 1100 square feet.
Well, that will make for easy planning, “okay, the tomatoes are going in the
kitchen”
More to come….
No comments:
Post a Comment