![]() |
| Cinnamon Body Scrub & Golden Organic Shampoo |
The most recent two classes I’ve taken are bath products and organic shampoo. The first class we made bath scrubs, salts, and bombs (fizzy bath things). That was fun, and cool to learn how you can make those things & inexpensively. Pop a cool label on, stellar packaging-Christmas Gifts!
Last week was organic homemade shampoo. I should say here that when one takes a class at city market you should always be prepared to learn more than just what you signed up for. Be prepared to get an earful about chemicals in conventional shampoos leaching into your bloodstream, not to mention they are packaged in plastic. Just sayin.
The woman that taught the class had long, to the back of your knee hair in a braid. (Oh yeah, she also taught a soapmaking class I took before the holidays. I’m not going to pursue that, as there’s something about actually having to follow a recipe and things being toxic before fully curing. Not my style.)
Anyway we began the class by going around and saying why we were there/ what we were hoping to get out of it. For some reason I felt like the class flipped to a female* support group where we were confessing our greatest dislikes when it comes to hair. One girl (who looked a lot a lot like Caryn Creviston) said “Well I collect hobbies the way some people collect shoes….” AH! Love that! My thoughts exactly! I also learned about this new phenomenon called No Poo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_poo).
We made a hair oil, and used it then and there. We were all joking about who we’d run into on our way out of the store, looking all greasy and fabulous. I used the “Golden Organic Shampoo” we made last Saturday. Wow, let me just tell you it was an experience. It made my hair both 80’s inspired and insta-dreadlocked it at the same time. It’s like the perfect shampoo to use if you want to french braid your hair. I seriously think I could have done it and it would have stayed without a hair tie.
*We were all women, curly, straight, short, long, colored, natural gray….except this spirited 11 year old boy.

4 comments:
Ahahahaha
i cannot tell you how much i loved this post! i wish i could take classes like that too!
that is, ya know, kinda weird about the organic shampoo thing...so does it get the dirt out, but leave in the natural oils or something!? I'd have fun with the hair oil. was the hair oil a treatment? hard to make?
the hair oil was a treatment, like maybe once a month or two.
it was made with jojoba oil, juniper, lavender, and rosemary essential oil. though that's the recipe she gave us here in my handout, i actually think what we made in class used some kind of homemade oil from some crazy plant from her garden....
susan, i wonder if wild oats has classes, just a thought!
i took a compost 101 class saturday at our local garden shop. more on that later!
Post a Comment