25 August 2010

Shot to the eye and you’re to blame, Mr. Jalepeno


So my new favorite thing in life is taking cooking clases at our local markets. Some are free, some are hands on, some you get free food, some you take home food, all are awesome.

Last night I took a class on canning tomatoes. We canned a tomato chutney, then made a salsa and jarred it, but didn’t process it.

As usual at any event in this town there were people of all different styles, you know and that’s okay, I’m just sayin’.

This class was held in the kitchen of a new café that hasn’t opened yet, it’s going to be called “Chubby Muffin” the sister café to a creperie in town called “skinny pancake”. Too cute.

Anyway, we were in this commercial kitchen, which was really exciting and overwhelming just on its own. We all pitched in and the salsa came together, somehow! I will say however I started to chop the jalapeño, so carefully, I was SO careful. Yet…squirt-juice straight to the eye. Oh pain…then the real pain came when I removed my contacts. So let this be a lesson, be really careful…or don’t even use the little buggers!! It was quite exciting to cook in a kitchen like that, and use those giant really sharp knives even if they shot hot juice to my eye….

3 comments:

eyes on europe said...

Fun fact: if you're in the kitchen and you burn yourself, jalapeno or banana pepper juice will take the pain away. no joke. i've tried it and it works. HOWEVER...if the burn is so bad that the skin is broken DO NOT DO THIS !!!! because that does NOT feel good.

crossn81 said...

Ouch, I got pepper burn on my hands awhile back and had to have Christy take out my contacts and put them in for a few days. Lemon juice and vinegar helped relieve the pain.

Jen said...

Oh no! That sucks. Your post title really got me laughing though!