04 March 2010

Scratch & Sniff

“What are you doing?”

“Making a memory! Years from now when I'm all grown up I'll always remember my grandfather and how he always smelled of….peppermint & pipe tobacco”

-The Parent Trap


It’s no secret that a scent will transport you back to a time and place, and bring back memories in an instant.
When I smell Spic & Span I think of a homeless shelter in Spartanburg, SC that we went to on a high school mission trip. When I smell Nivea hand cream I think of my Nana who always had a bottle of it on her dresser. When I smell incense, I’m transported to St. Peter’s in Rome and pink grapefruit dish soap makes me think (so fondly) of the IWU photo lab.

Yes, I’m also the person in the deodorant*, shampoo, dish soap, and cleaner aisles of the grocery store that always smell before buying. (*Recently made a bad purchase, it smells more like a cleaner than deodorant. Oh well, it’s winter.)

So, what are your strange smell associations?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last year, Elaine visited. She entered my kitchen, smiled, flared her nose and asked, "what smells like... Shatford House?" with an extra smile.

It was a Hawaiian Breeze plug in.

I love that smell. It takes me back.