15 July 2009

Day in Stowe--Plan B

Last weekend I had planned a great day in Stowe with Tonya. We headed out to see the Annual Stowe Hot Air Balloon Festival. We were both really excited. One factor I didn’t take into account, or believe, was the weather report.

As we approached Stowe, I noted the lack of hot air balloons in the sky. Trying to think positively, I thought, “they’re just on the other side of the mountain”

One thing I’ve learned in the 2 ½ years of living here is that festivals and events are just smaller up here. We certainly have enough events, but it’s just on a smaller scale than other places. But I was beginning to think this event wasn’t really happening. After a brief visit to a fancy hotel to inquire, it turns out, impending thunderstorms, high winds, and hot air balloon festivals don’t play well together.

Alas, I had to come up with another plan, and fast. As the rain and wind came in, we headed to Smugglers Notch (“the notch”). It’s a really narrow and fun drive through the mountain. It’s so intense; they close it for like 7 months during the winter. (I snowshoed on it last year, it’s so strange cause you are snowshoeing in what feels like the woods…but it’s really the road..past road signs.) It’s called Smuggler’s Notch because…something about…smuggling alcohol though the notch during prohibition. So we had an enjoyable ride through the notch, stopped for some photos, practided our golf swing at the Stowe Golf Club (oh pish! posh!) and made our way to a pizza place for dinner just as the rain came down. As a grand finale to the day (which was a hit so far) we stopped at the infamous Ben & Jerry’s factory for a tour. We had the most awesome tour guide, her dry sense of humor spiced up the tour which I’d been on like 5 times! Despite the fact that we did nothing we set out to do, we had a great day!

Enjoy the pics:









2 comments:

Jen said...

I think in heaven, it'll just be one continuous Ben & Jerry's ice cream tour, complete with never-ending samples.

.meredith. said...

yes,i like your thinking! except it will be free samples of your favorite flavor. cause when you goon a tour in real life,it's never the flavor you want!