15 November 2008

We know where the devil lives



Last Saturday afternoon I decided to do something about the leaves that were quickly piling up due to the very big tree in our front yard. I furiously started raking with two time constraints, 1. the impending storm and 2. the place i was dropping the leaves closed at 4 p.m.

Within a few minutes I knew I was in big trouble, the pile of leves was bigger than my car..thus making it impossible to transport ALL the bags I was about to fill in the Saturn. I called the roommates to make sure they'd be home in time to help tote the leaves to The Intervale .



The Intervale is this area of land down by the river that has several farms, they also have a big area for compost. Their compost is pretty famous in the area.



In the nick of time the roommates showed up, and we started loading the 18 bags of leaves into some cars (thank goodness for the Santa Fe). We drove down to the Intervale, where they would gladly take our leaves. Something about Nitrogen from the leaves being good for compost....

As we pulled in, we were surrounded by giant piles of compost. This was quite possibly the scariest place ever. There were all these crows and gulls flying around. For any of you that don't know, I hate things that fly. The sky was that velvet color, right before a big storm rolls in...we all looked at each other and we're like: "this is where the devil lives!!!!!"


On our way out we stopped at a fresh cut flower farm called Stray Cat. We walked around for quite a while before we saw a person. And that person just so happened to be the owner and her husband! We basically confessed to her that we're groupies. She's got the most unique flowers and arrangements. We've had the opportunity to purchase them through our CSA (i've probably posted photos on here of them before). Also, we've purchased them at the farmers market. Anyway, Beth asked about summer employment opportunities, and she basically said unless you've had several years experience. HOW just so happens to have "several years of experience" on a fresh cut flower farm, I'm not sure. So she basically got shot down on that opportunity, but the owner did offer the possibility of working the farmers market Saturdays in the summer, so Beth is excited about that (think I can get my summers off?) I'll keep dreaming.
P.S. I didn't take the pics, they're the result of a google image search.

3 comments:

Christy Joy Cross said...

Sounds awesome! We have started composting in our backyard! I think it is awesome. We make a lot less trash when we compost paper and food waste!

.meredith. said...

Yay for composting! I know isn't it incredible how your trash is reduced, b/t composting and recycling, we hardly make any trash!

I was talking about you today at work, Minneapolis was the talk of the town today.

eyes on europe said...

you dont like things that fly? you also dont like things that purr, or are relatives of rodents.