12 January 2012

high | low


YES! It’s true! I’m tagging along with my parents the end of February to Paris! I am so excited, and its right around the corner!
I’ve been scouring the libraries and bookstores for guides, and calling friends to pick their brain…oh yeah…and brushing up on my French (I took French in High School for three years. Toward the end, my ship began to sink. Literally, as my teacher drew a sinking ship on one of my assignments. How’s that for encouraging?).

I am so excited and thankful for this opportunity. The opportunity to see a new place, a new culture, eat some good food, but most of all to spend time with my parents, which doesn’t happen often enough. It also comes at an interesting time in my life, as things at work are really unstable (to say the least) the future of the company is filled with lots of questions, as well as every single person here. Sure, it’s scary to look ahead with lots of questions, but heck lets be honest, it’s cold (not so much snowy) but it’s pretty hard to come to work every morning, much less with a smile on my face!

Sure I’m worried. I wake up at night and can’t fall asleep (another reason why now (more than ever) afternoon Starbucks double shots are a bad, very bad idea). I wake up at 2:30 wide awake dong higher level math calculations and figuring out a budget. I know that God has a plan, and despite the worry, I do have a peace about it.

I was really easy when I was in Ohio on vacation to say “heck yes, I’d like to go to Paris” when I got back to the humdrum day to day junk here, I started to question whether it was the right thing to do. I had this burden, and decided to talk about it with my boss. I was sensitive to the fact that it could appear to some that “I’m fleeing to Paris”. I wanted to reiterate that I’m here and I’m committed to help though this time (I’m just going to be gone for a few days). He assured me that despite the unknowns at work we still have to live our lives & take advantage of opportunities.  He, as well as all the other people I work in close proximity with, have had an amazingly positive attitude which I’m so incredibly thankful for. There’s a fine line between being positive, being optimistic, and walking around whistling like nothing is going on. My boss said “you know, I am still thinking that at some point we’re going to look back at this and realize it was a good thing”

I completely agree. Why? Because I know some day …I’m going to look back at this time and be able to see God’s plan. I don’t know it now, I don’t know it tomorrow. But I know he will be faithful to care for His children.

I’m thankful for the weekends for a time to recharge, I’m thankful for mini trips where I can get away (like this weekend to NH), and I’m thankful for Paris, but I’m most thankful for God’s plan and perfect timing.

I'm reminded of this song by Josh Wilson:

2 comments:

eyes on europe said...

wow! sounds like we need to have a phone date soon so i can catch up on all the meredithy things that are going on!

Anonymous said...

wow, Meres. I'm so sorry it's rocky and scary and unknown. I hate the pinnacle of the unknown. But at least you can have your coworkers' blessings to bon voyage for a short bit to keep the pep in your step and radiate out onto them a bit. Prayers to you!