30 August 2011

Shooting a shotgun in a dress and putting on pearls before entering an outhouse: a guide to surviving and sprucing up the backwoods of Maine

It finally happened! We went to "camp" (over the fourth! it's really a belated post!)



Quick Vermont Vocab Lesson: a "camp" is a secondary home, usually a summer home, similar to what the rest of the world calls a cottage. typically in the woods and/or a body of water. Usually on the more rustic side, nit not always.

Okay! on with the adventure! Greg's Uncle Sandy has a camp in Maine, that we've been wanting to go visit together for quite some time now! It's about 3 1/2 hours away from Burlington, a very pretty drive through the NorthEast Kingdom in Vermont and the White Mountains in New Hampshire. We stopped for a picnic lunch at a rest area overlooking the Whites. Perfect!

We kept trucking to Maine, and made it there Mid-Day on the Fourth. Camp is essentially a mans paradise! We took a "road" about a quarter of a mile long to get to the camp. It was beyond a dirt road, it was a "i'm thankful greg is driving and we're in his subaru" kind of road. We surveyed the area and went to collect some water from the creek., for drinking & cleaning.

While Greg set up his gun stuff, I picked a lovely bouquet of wildflowers.


Greg then showed me how to shoot various guns, and i manned my post as "clay pigeon flinger". I haven't really mastered the art of aiming at a specific target, more getting used to shooting a gun in general. hah!





we cooked dinner (all American steak & potatoes & corn on the cob) with s'mores and sparkers as night fell and ALL the stars in the universe were sparkling in the sky.










We woke up on the fifth and had a hearty breakfast of eggs, potatoes, toast, and fruit. And set off on a hike, our destination was Little Concord Pond. We walked through alot of land that had been recently logged as Uncle Sandy lets logging companies log on some of the 200 acres.






The hike was great, I've said it before, but Maine just smells good! Nice fresh air! Greg pointed out a Moose Track, pretty big! I noticed something even bigger next to it "hey Greg, I said casually....is that a bear track?" "Yeah, that's a massive bear"


We got to the pond and sat by the shores, we were literally surrounded by moose, we could hear them calling to each other, it was a little, okay, a lot scary. We hiked back, I with more gusto, and we cooked a very picturesque lunch and packed up and headed home!











More Camp Photos...



















































2 comments:

Jon said...

"Camp" isn't just a VT thing it's a PA thing too. Growing up almost everyone had a "camp" and strangely they were always 10 minutes from their house in the woods. I actually know one person that their camp was just a few hundred feet up their driveway. When I moved further south in PA, I discovered that many people had heard of Smethport because they all had camps up near there. Crazy I know.

Dad said...

I'm glad you made this post since I was really interested to see what a NE "camp" is actually like (words are inadequate), but what I want to know is how you got that really big bear to take that shot of Greg and you by the pond? He's (maybe it was a she) pretty good ;-). As always, great (photo) shots -- thanks, you little clay pigeon flinger!