
So I've been crafting this blog post in my head for quite some time now, trying to figure out the most clever way to announce it, as I've been keeping it under wraps till it really happened. Perhaps now questions I've asked people over the past few months or things I've been up to will now be crystal clear. Questions about mortgages, and lenders, actions like estate sales, and buying lots of treasures at them...well..
I celebrated Flag Day 2011, by purchasing a house!
Let's dial back a few months! It all started with a boy..well sort of! (keep reading, don't assume you know where this is going). Karen had some exciting news to share, she and Tim were going to get married and buy a condo in the area. This was the catalyst for the next chain of events. (do you have a cup of coffee or tea? This might take a while, but it's an exciting tale! I've been waiting to share all the details & stories with you for SO long!)
After Karen's announcement of VERY exciting news, I thought about buying a house of my own, and started the process of house hunting. I met with a realtor, and we went out. She had a list of places to see, and Beth had found some FSBO on craigslist. The first one we went to was actually one from craigslist. You know that feeling of "this is it".whether it's about a house, a car, a dress, a pair of shoes, a boy, a girl.. I had it before I was 3 steps into the home.
From there I saw about 5 more in the neighborhood (which is about a mile from where I am now). I kept thinking about that first one and just knew.
When I make a big decision like this I look for open doors that God's provided in this situation. There were several very interesting things that happened along this journey that proved a. this was a good decision to be making in the first place (buying a house), and b. this was THE house. Things were falling into place with the (big) financial part of the process. That’s a for sure scary commitment.
I spoke of that "you just know" feeling. As I said I was literally 3 steps in the door and knew. Upon looking at the house, I saw little things here and there that made me think this was a Christian family, bibles, books entitled "sacred parenting" and the girls baptism gowns hanging on the walls. After going through the home for the first time, I did what any normal person does, google the owners. Well. Turns out he's a pastor. While this might not seem like a big deal, it is in Vermont.
A few days later, I went for a second look and that’s when I noticed a photograph of the iconic Big Red Lighthouse (in Holland, MI). I asked about it, turns out they’re from Michigan. Well capture my heart, why doncha!? They are both from western MI and had gone to Hope. (Britton & Kelli’s rival college!) So as the story goes, I put in the offer, negotiated a bit, and signed a contract! I was thankful in that my parents have been very supportive and were able to come up for the inspection and have the opportunity to see the house.
So relatively speaking, everything went pretty well, and I’ll be moving in July 23 weekend, and beth will be living with me too. Hurray!
So you want the details? It’s in the same part of Burlington as where I’m currently renting. It is 2 stories. Three bedrooms, and 1 ¾ baths, a woodburning stove, all wood floors, built-in speakers in the living room and kitchen (greg’s still perfecting the whole technological part of that, thank you!), four raised garden beds, a strawberry patch, blueberries, raspberries, a grape arbor & swing, horseshoes, and a shed!
5 comments:
Congrats Meredith!
-Caroline :)
Congrats Meredith! The house looks so awesome!
A woodburning stove, eh? Is that to heat with...or cook with? Or just for looks?
Congrats!! It sounds awesome
Thanks! :)
Oh the woodburning stove, it's to cook with Laura Ingalls Wilder style! jk! it's to heat with, but not the only source in the house.
OKAY SO i'm just now reading this! I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! maybe i'll leave my husband and move to vermont..........maybe not. but a girl can dream, huh?
i want to buy a house so so so bad and i want it to be cute and old and hardwood floors and flowers and fun things and it sounds like you got something pretty close to it!
omigosh yay i'm so happy! now i need your new address!
Post a Comment