19 May 2011

summer bucket list | hitting it big at an estate sale

I grew up going to estate sales in Michigan with my mom. These were true estate sales--like literally in the neighborhood of THE Fords and famous "mowtown" recording artists.

Looking back I'm pretty sure Britton and I were exposed to such events just so my mom could see the insides of these homes (pretty much like a free home tour), all the while picking up a treasure here and there. I remember going to one where I found and promptly fell in love with this Raggedy Ann & Andy pillow case. My mom (enter fantastic parenting trick) turned it into a find & seek game, and told us "i bet there is anther one just like that somewhere in the house". So Britton and I were completely occupied as we searched for the matching pillow case (which we found). I completely forgot about Estate Sales until a coworker reminded me of them. Not only are they a great way to score interesting pieces, it's reasonable, and let's face it, it's fun to take a glimpse into someone else's life.

No comments: