03 June 2009

UPDATE: Graduation, Ordination, possible Car surprise, and a missing Ben & Jerry's

So, it's like I blinked and May was over!
My little brother graduated from Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI. I flew in and we had a great long weekend. My mom planned a ridiculously amazing party for him, including but not limited to homemade fortune cookies with various Proverbs tucked inside! It was so great to see alot of family that I haven't seen for years. It was also really exciting to meet the new family members, like sweet Sophie, Chase and Cameron! I'm so proud of Britton, and had a great time with him. You'll be happy to know the kids at Calvin have the same love for John Calvin that we had/have for John Wesley at IWU. Britton and I had fun spending the afternoon at Meijer getting apartment essentials. We also got ingredients to cook dinner for the family (chicken salad made with a rotisserie chicken on a croissant and watermelon). We started assembling it, only to find Britton had A plate, A bowl, and NO silverware. Apparently his other roommates had and will have those items? Good thing Britt loves kitchen gadgets, cause he had all kinds of knives and other tools. So I shredded the chicken for the salad with a giant grilling fork and a paring knife. We invented things to eat off of as plates, like the tray to a taster oven, and a cutting board, we ate watermelon out of a giant mixing bowl with toothpicks!

This past weekend was also very exciting! Our friend Tim (along with four other guys) was ordained a priest! Saturday was the ordination, and Sunday was Tim’s first Mass. It’s so inspiring to be around someone who is so sure of their calling that they make a commitment like that. We’ve been supporting Tim & the other guys for the past five years through prayers, letters, phone calls, and baked goods (the most recent thing to fill the “seminarian cookie tin” were chal-a-wiches…duh...chalice shaped cookies made into sandwiches with chocolate frosting inside!). It was also great to see his family, and a lot of friends we don’t see on a regular basis. We also saw several campers who have grown up, graduated high school, and are growing in their faith because of the seeds that were planted at camp! Praise the Lord, it is so exciting to see!

I’ve got photos of all the above and more, hopefully they’ll surface sooner rather than later.

I think my dad might be coming up to Vermont for a visit, and to help me look/buy a car! This is kind of a big deal, The Car-of-Steel…or to some, The Race Car, is the only car I’ve had, we’ve been on a lot of adventures, gotten lost, pulled over, nearly crashed, driven halfway across the country 5 times…it’s just been there for me. It’s had 5 different license plates on it (Florida, Ohio, PA, Ohio, VT) and it also lived in Indiana for those college years. Stay tuned.

On a final note, to those who are still reading, I met up with Tonya tonight for Ben & Jerry’s…except it was gone! Apparently the one we tried to go to had closed in the past few weeks. So I came up with a quick alternate plan of getting dessert at Chili’s and eating it outside—still fun, sugary, chocolaty, and delicious!

1 comment:

eyes on europe said...

a new car?!?!?! i can't believe the other one will be gone...can you immortalize it in your front yard as a planter? or like, cut it in half and make it look like it's crashing into your house? that would be neat.