25 March 2008

The Egg Event of the Century

Jon and I celebrated Easter in Vermont this year. Among many fun memories we made one included an event that took place over the whole weekend.
It started with my crunchy-granola-hippy-vermont idea to dye easter eggs with homemade dyes. We began the process Friday night, blowing the yolk out of approximately 23 eggs. Jon had this technique down! It took me a little longer to catch on. I made dyes from everything and anything including spinach, turmeric, juice, tea, coffee (only because I hadn’t dumped the grounds out of my French Press). The turmeric was the only one that was exceptionally effective. (hey jon, what happens when you microwave turmeric dye?)
Biting the bullet and using food coloring (which contains an ingredient closely related to something in antifreeze) to make our eggs more colorful, Jon turned his fingers blue!

We let them dry overnight, and let the extra moisture ooze out of the eggs, Jon had a dream of eggs cracking and I had a dream about the egg & dye reside seeping all down my counter and kitchen cabinets.

Saturday we started painting, and painting, and left for a portion of the day to go to the Green Mountain Film Festival in Montpelier (blog coverage of this event is all you, Jon). We returned and painted more.

Sunday afternoon and until 11:45 pm we painted, pulling inspiration from a variety of sources, including: throw pillows, French Ikea catalogs, artwork on the walls of 22 1/2, and Italian purses,
finishing just in the nick of time before Easter was over! Oh, and…Jon’s eggs were WAY prettier than mine.












4 comments:

Jon said...

it boils over and makes the inside of your microwave a beautiful yellow.

Anonymous said...

of course you would.

okay, I give up. Please write a book on how to keep life interesting. I live in one of the most exciting cities and can't get out of the daily grind.

Jon said...

Sarah, our lives (or maybe it's just my side of the relationship) together is a concentrate. Nothing much going on for a couple months and then BAM we have a weekend where we do a month's worth of dating in the course of a couple days. This results in me telling Meredith to take product shots of Easter Eggs in the hopes that Sarah B. will see them and become envious.

True story.

PS - We did not have Creme Brulee this time together although I did try to find some dishes for the desert at IKEA, but with no luck.

Christy Joy Cross said...

wow I have never seen such beautiful eggs... you guys rock!!