A reason or two for the delay…it’s been so long since I’ve posted, I had to go through the process of recovering my login and password…but mostly because I didn’t know how to put into words the events that all began on June 26th. I’ve also been highly debating just posting photos, and letting the images do the talking, well, up until now, this blog has been only photos. (and I know these words will not do the trip justice)
When I landed in San Diego for the Dignal-Burmeister wedding it took, oh, about 5 days to get out of what is apparently dubbed “California Shock”. I, along with the other Midwesterners wandered the corridors of Balboa Park, the streets of downtown La Mesa and the shopping centers of Rancho San Diego et Bonita…constantly asking, “what IS this place called California?”
I mean for one thing, I didn’t even know there were mountains in California! Which brings me to my realization on why my green mountains here in Vermont are called the Green Mountains! (…because all mountains aren’t green like mine). Cafés in Little Italy made me feel like I was back in Europe, there were Cyprus-like trees, reminiscent of the landscape of Tuscany, a little bit desert, a wild wild west flair, a bit of big-city, and a touch of classic iconic California…all this is enough to make anyone confused about their surroundings.
When all is said and done, and you arrive back on the east coast, somehow driving 35-45 mph on back country roads is so slow…and in the off chance you take the one and only highway in your state, the two lanes, makes you feel closterphobic. You miss more than ever the fact that there are NO Mexican restaurants in VT… (although there is a peculiar little shop at 18 ½ Church Street that serves Fish Tacos..I’ll let you know about that one later), and, yes, there have been late night cravings for the illustrious In-n-Out Burger…and my love for Starbucks was renewed.
Aside from discovering the differences of the east coast vs the west coast, the one thing that made the “San Diego Experience” so memorable was the opportunity to witness the beautiful Christ- Centered love and wedding of Sarah and Adam. It was an honour to be a part of the wedding. It was unforgettable to have the opportunity to spend a week in fellowship with wonderful one-of-a-kind friends.
To all those I owe CDs of photos, they are coming, I promise!!!
Love ya, and I miss you all!
2 comments:
you updated?! you updated!!!
i love you!!
guess what my car is dead.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
we LOVED having you!
(if you need repairs, call us for questions of legitimacy first! Adam might save you money!)
Post a Comment